The goal is to create a resilient and secure 6G system that detects attacks and contingencies (failures, overloads, etc.), absorbs them flexibly, recovers in a timely and sustainable manner, or compensates for impaired functionality through transformation. To this end, a novel, holistic resilience-by-design and security-by-design approach is being pursued, in which resilience and security (including privacy, with a focus on availability) are incorporated into system design from the outset and integrated as a core component of 6G systems. The new resilience and security solutions for 6G will be developed at all relevant system levels:
- technology and hardware,
- 6G RAN/edge, and
- 6G core/cloud. Their interaction will be optimized taking into account Device/RAN/Edge/Core/Cloud convergence as well as 6G apps in a holistic and end-to-end (E2E) view.
The solutions each include
- “self-awareness” that ensures anomalies, misbehaviors, attacks, etc. are detected autonomously and automatically,
- self-reconfiguration capability that enables rapid and agile, reactive or proactive adaptation for optimization and healing, and
- self-protection mechanisms that anticipate attacks and impending resilience degradation. Furthermore,
- cryptoagility is pursued, i.e., the design of a security architecture for coupling “classical” crypto, quantum key distribution (QKD), and postquantum crypto to achieve an end-to-end minimum security level for crypto deployment in 6G.
For resilience and security, softwareization, programmability and AI are part of the solution, as they enable the necessary reconfigurability, modularity, agility, elasticity, and relocation and modification of functionalities, but they also pose new challenges.